Seven clergymen standing under a tree
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Black and white photograph of seven clergymen standing under a tree in Nova Scotia. They are all wearing dark coloured suites, and most are also wearing clerical collars. Left to right: Rev. J. A. Buchholtz, Rev. Bermon, Rev. Carroll Herman Little, Rev. Belireus, Rev. William M. Weaver, Rev. G. B. Pifer, and Rev. Fetterly.
- The photograph is damaged.
Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada is one of five synods of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada, consisting of more than 200 member congregations and 78,000 baptized members. The territory of the Eastern Synod runs from Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario to Halifax, Nova Scotia.
In July 1861 the Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Canada (Canada Synod) was organized by the former Canadian Conference of the Pittsburgh Synod. In 1867 the Canada Synod helped organize the General Council. In 1908 the Central Canada Synod organized as a result of English activity of the General Council. In 1918 both synods became part of the United Lutheran Church in America. In 1925 the Canada Synod and the Central Canada Synod merged, retaining the name Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Canada (Canada Synod). In 1962 the Canada Synod reorganized as the Eastern Canada Synod of the Lutheran Church in America, comprised of the provinces of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island, Quebec and most of Ontario. In 1985 the Eastern Canada Synod withdrew from the Lutheran Church in America to join with the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Canada to form the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada. In 1986 the new church began to function officially, retaining its membership in the Lutheran Council in Canada.
- Handwritten, reverse: Ministers of Nova Scotia Synod. L to R Revs - Buehaltz, Bermon, Little, Belireus, Weaver, Peiffer and Fetterly.
- Date of Original:
- Between 1900 and 1914
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 21cm
Image Height: 15.5cm
- Local identifier:
- Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada Collection
- Geographic Coverage:
Nova Scotia, Canada
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- Wilfrid Laurier University Archives & Special Collections
- Reproduction Notes:
- S100 Disc4
Wilfrid Laurier University Library
Agency street/mail address
75 University Avenue West, Waterloo, ON Canada N2L 3C5