150th Anniversary of St. John's Lutheran Church, Riverside Heights, Ontario
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Black and white photograph of the 150th anniversary service at St. John's Lutheran Church in Riverside, Ontario. A group of dignitaries are standing on a platform in front of the church, facing a crowd of spectators. Standing, left to right: John Reble, president of the Canada Synod; C.H. Little, faculty member at the Evangelical Lutheran Seminary of Canada; Prime Minister Robert Bennett; A. C. Casselman, MP; F. H. Knubel, president of the United Lutheran Church; W. A. Mehlenbacher, pastor of St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church; Unknown; G. H. Challis, MPP; Nils Willison, vice-president of the Canada Synod; Unknown. A crowd of people are gathered in the foreground. The Memorial Cairn was unveiled during the ceremony.
- St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church in Riverside Heights, Ontario is a member of the Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada. It began in the late 1700s as a congregation of settlers in Williamsburg Township, Upper Canada. In 1789 a church building was erected on the Center Commons Lot in the first Concession of Williamsburg Township. The church was originally named Zion Lutheran Church, but the name was quickly changed to St. George’s Church. The first pastor was Reverend Samuel Schwerdtfeger.
In 1814, St. George’s Church was taken over by the Church of England under the direction of Rev. John Gunther Weagant, a previous pastor of the Lutheran Church. The Lutherans were barred from St. George’s Church and were forced to hold services in the homes of congregation members. In 1826, Rev. Herman Hayunga accepted the call as pastor to the Lutherans in Williamsburg Township. He quickly formed two congregations in the area – St. John’s Church in Riverside, and St. Peter’s Lutheran Church in Williamsburg.
For several years Hayunga petitioned the government to deed St. George’s Church to the Lutheran congregation. When the government denied his request Hayunga demanded that the congregation receive financial compensation for the loss of property. In 1846 the government granted the Lutheran church the sum of 500 Canadian pounds.
In 1833 the Evangelical Lutheran Church of St. John was consecrated by Rev. Hayunga. The new wooden frame building stood on a lot donated by church member Conrad Frymire. In 1863 a larger, brick church was built on the same lot. In 1956 the St. Lawrence Seaway Project forced the relocation of the Church. On December 7, 1958, the new St. John’s Lutheran Church was completed at Riverside Heights.
- Handwritten, reverse: Rear row on platform: Reble in biretta, Little, Bennett, Casselman, M.P., Knubel, Mehenbacher, Isilev, Challies, Prov. Secretary, Willison.
Dedication of Cairn at Riverside Morrisburg Prime Minister Bennett spoke.
- Date of Original:
- June 10, 1934
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 8cm
Image Height: 5.5cm
Challies, G. H.Casselman, A. C.Bennett, Richard BedfordWillison, NilsKnubel, Frederick H.St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church (Riverside Heights, Ont.)Lutheran Church - Canada, EasternReble, John H.Mehlenbacher, ArthurLittle, Carroll HermanPrime ministersAnniversaries
- Local identifier:
- St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church, Riverside Heights ON fonds
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- Wilfrid Laurier University Archives & Special Collections
- Reproduction Notes:
- S100 Disc2
Wilfrid Laurier University Library
Agency street/mail address
75 University Avenue West, Waterloo, ON Canada N2L 3C5