Designing of Waterloo Lutheran University coat of arms
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Black and white photograph of four men looking at the Waterloo Lutheran University coat of arms. Left to right, standing: Architect W. H. E. Schmalz, designer of the of arms for Waterloo Lutheran University; Earl Haas, chairman of the Waterloo Lutheran University mace committee; Beverly Hayes, president of Hayes Advertising Limited. Seated: artist James Williams.
- The Waterloo College coat of arms was designed in 1925 by local architect W. H. E. Schmalz, and faculty members Alexander O. Potter and C. H. Little. It features a beaver, an open Bible, Luther's coat of arms, and the torch of knowledge. Emblazoned beneath the shield is the motto "Veritas omnia vincit" which means "The truth conquers all". In 1961 this design was adopted as the coat of arms of Waterloo Lutheran University and was incorporated in the university seal. The coat of arms was retained when the University name was changed to Wilfrid Laurier University in 1973, and redesigned in 1989.
Wilfrid Laurier University is located in Waterloo, Ontario. It began in 1911 as the Evangelical Lutheran Seminary of Canada. In 1924 Waterloo College was established, providing courses in post-secondary education. In 1960 Waterloo College became Waterloo Lutheran University, and in 1973 changed its name to Wilfrid Laurier University.
- Date of Original:
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 24cm
Image Height: 19cm
- Local identifier:
- Wilfrid Laurier University photograph collection
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- Wilfrid Laurier University Archives & Special Collections
- Reproduction Notes:
- U57 Disc7
Wilfrid Laurier University Library
Agency street/mail address
75 University Avenue West, Waterloo, ON Canada N2L 3C5