Altar, St. Peter's Lutheran Church, Kitchener, Ontario
- Belair, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Black and white postcard of the altar of St. Peter's Lutheran Church in Kitchener, Ontario.
- St. Peter’s Lutheran Church is a member of the Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada. It is located at 49 Queen Street North in Kitchener, Ontario. The congregation was organized in 1863 as Die Evangelische Lutherische St. Petri Gemeinde.
The first church building was completed in 1863, but was demolished in 1877. Construction of a new church took way and was completed in 1868. In 1922, a parish hall was added next to the existing church building; and in 1928, the church’s interior was completely remodeled. By the 1960s, the church had consistent repair issues and was not large enough to support all the church’s programmes. The decision was made to demolish the existing church building and by 1966, construction of the new church was completed. In 2012 The Labyrinth at St. Peter’s was created on the floor of St. Peter’s Chapel, providing a space for prayer and meditation.
- Reverse: The Altar in St. Peter's Lutheran Church / The Altar is solid Italian marble and contains a hand carving of the "Last Supper" made from a copy of Leonardo da Vinci's celebrated fresco on the refectory wall in the monastery, Santa Maria delle Grazie in Milan, painted in 1497. This artist's masterpieces are classed with those of Raphael and Michael Angelo. The altar was a gift to the Church from the Ladies' Aid and was purchased in 1914 during the Pastorate of the late Rev. T. Oberlander. Dedicated to the glory of God it has become a source of inspiration to those who desire to "Worship in the beauty of Holiness". Belair Photo
- Arthur Lane Studios
- Place of Publication:
- Toronto, Ont.
- Date of Original:
- Between 1933 and 1966
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 14.5cm
Image Height: 9cm
- Local identifier:
- St. Peter's Evangelical Lutheran Church fonds
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- Wilfrid Laurier University Archives & Special Collections
- Reproduction Notes:
- S2041 Disc1
Wilfrid Laurier University Library
Agency street/mail address
75 University Avenue West, Waterloo, ON Canada N2L 3C5