Elizabeth Witmer at the official opening of the Faculty of Education, Wilfrid Laurier University
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Colour digital photograph of MPP Elizabeth Witmer. He is speaking at the official opening of the Faculty of Education.
- The official opening of the Faculty of Education took place on Wednesday, October 3, 2007 in the Science Building courtyard.
Wilfrid Laurier University is a public university in Waterloo, Ontario. Laurier traces its roots to 1911 with the founding of the Evangelical Lutheran Seminary of Canada, the first Lutheran seminary in Canada.
As the seminary grew, it expanded teaching into new areas. From 1914-1929 it founded and operated Waterloo College School, an all-boys high school offering pre-theological education leading to senior matriculation. In 1924, the seminary expanded its higher education offerings when it established Waterloo College of Arts, a non-theological honours degree program affiliated with the University of Western Ontario. Waterloo College and Associate Faculties, offering science and engineering programs, was launched in 1956. Three years later, Waterloo College and Associate Faculties separated from Waterloo College and became incorporated as the University of Waterloo.
Also in 1959, the seminary received a revised charter from the Province of Ontario. The charter established Waterloo Lutheran University, a degree-granting university composed of two units – Waterloo University College (formerly Waterloo College) and Waterloo Lutheran Seminary (formerly the Evangelical Lutheran Seminary of Canada). In 1960, WLU ended its long-standing affiliation with the University of Western Ontario, and began to grant its own degrees.
On November 1, 1973, Waterloo Lutheran University became a public institution and was renamed Wilfrid Laurier University. Waterloo Lutheran Seminary, renamed Martin Luther University College in 2018, remains a federated college of the university.
In 1999 a second campus, Laurier Brantford, opened in Brantford, Ontario. In 2006 the Faculty of Social Work moved to a century-old building in downtown Kitchener.
- Date of Original:
- Oct. 3, 2007
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 2336px
Image Height: 3504px
- Local identifier:
- Wilfrid Laurier University photograph collection
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Protected by copyright: Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and for any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Copyright Date:
- Copyright Holder:
- Wilfrid Laurier University
- Recommended Citation:
- Wilfrid Laurier University Archives & Special Collections
- Reproduction Notes:
- U57 DI111
Wilfrid Laurier University Library
Agency street/mail address
75 University Avenue West, Waterloo, ON Canada N2L 3C5