Call from the St. Lawrence Evangelical Lutheran Parish to John Gunther Weagant, March 1, 1808


Description
Weagent, John Gunther
, Recipient
Media Type:
Text
Item Type:
Correspondence
Description:
Official call from the St. Lawrence Evangelical Lutheran Parish to Rev. John G. Weagent. Includes financial terms and signatures on congregation members.
Notes:
Discolouration along the center fold.
A section of the document has been cut.

The paper has a watermark and chain lines. The chain lines are 2.6cm apart.

St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church in Riverside Heights, Ontario is a member of the Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada. It began in the late 1700s as a congregation of settlers in Williamsburg Township, Upper Canada. In 1789 a church building was erected on the Center Commons Lot in the first Concession of Williamsburg Township. The church was originally named Zion Lutheran Church, but the name was quickly changed to St. George’s Church. The first pastor was Reverend Samuel Schwerdtfeger.

In 1814, St. George’s Church was taken over by the Church of England under the direction of Rev. John Gunther Weagant, a previous pastor of the Lutheran Church. The Lutherans were barred from St. George’s Church and were forced to hold services in the homes of congregation members. In 1826, Rev. Herman Hayunga accepted the call as pastor to the Lutherans in Williamsburg Township. He quickly formed two congregations in the area – St. John’s Church in Riverside, and St. Peter’s Lutheran Church in Williamsburg.

For several years Hayunga petitioned the government to deed St. George’s Church to the Lutheran congregation. When the government denied his request Hayunga demanded that the congregation receive financial compensation for the loss of property. In 1846 the government granted the Lutheran church the sum of 500 Canadian pounds.

In 1833 the Evangelical Lutheran Church of St. John was consecrated by Rev. Hayunga. The new wooden frame building stood on a lot donated by church member Conrad Frymire. In 1863 a larger, brick church was built on the same lot. In 1956 the St. Lawrence Seaway Project forced the relocation of the Church. On December 7, 1958, the new St. John’s Lutheran Church was completed at Riverside Heights.

Transcribed by Shelby Campbell in 2015.
Date of Original:
March 1, 1808
Dimensions:
Width: 20 cm
Height: 32 cm
Subject(s):
Local identifier:
S2020_2.1
Collection:
St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church, Riverside Heights ON fonds
Language of Item:
English
Geographic Coverage:
  • Ontario, Canada
    Latitude: 44.9668 Longitude: -75.24932
Copyright Statement:
Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Recommended Citation:
Wilfrid Laurier University Archives & Special Collections
Reproduction Notes:
Text S100 Disc1
Contact
Wilfrid Laurier University Library
Email
WWW address
Agency street/mail address

75 University Avenue West, Waterloo, ON Canada N2L 3C5

Full Text

In the Name of the triune God. Amen

These present our Indentures testify that we the Subscribers Inhabitants of the Township of Williamsburg eastern District Province of Upper. Canada have called, and do call by this present

Instrument of Agreement the reverend John G. Wigant late from midland District in the Province aforesaid for our Minister that he may preach unto us the sound and pure Doctrine of the Gospel, likewise to administer the holy Sacraments according to the Ordinance of the Institution thereof, visit if called upon sick and afflicted Persons and explain the Catechism to them, which are to be admitted for the first Time to the Lords Table.

In Recompence for which we the Subscribers do promise annually unto him the full Sum of Twenty six Pounds eleven shillings H.C. Fourty Bshl of Wheat, fourty four Bshl of Oats and deliver sufficient Fire wood at his Door. the Money allways to be paid in half a years Payments and the other Articles to paid in the Course of the Winter; also the free use and Benefit of the Church- Land as far as it is granted to us by Goverment; together with the Parish-House and other Buildings now on it, which are to be put and kept in a sufficient Repair. It is also our free and deliberate Will, that this our Obligation and every particular expressed herein may subsist for all the Life Time of the said revd John G. Wigant, and if he should die during the Time of his Office, one half a years Salary shall be paid to his Widow or Children, so as he received it whilst being in Office. And in Case which God by his Grace may avert, he should be unable to perform his ministerial Office and Function by Reason of old Age and Infirmities, it shall be far from us, to with- draw our helping Hands from him or his, but we promise also in such a sad Case at least the Quarter of the above prom-

[page 2]

promised Salary to him or his Order, till God one Way or other changes his Condition. And concerning other Charges commonly made for the Support of a Minister it is agreed to that he shall be allowed for the Entering in the Church. Book of every Child baptized by him one shilling.

For the publishing and joining together in Matrimony of a Couple if performed in the Church or Parish House one Dollar, but if he is to go abroad he is to be paid for journey separatly.

For a Funeral Sermon one Dollar.

For the Instruction and Preparation of those who for the first Time shall be admitted to the holy Communion it is left to our own Generosity, at least we promise to give him half a Dollar.

We also consent that he may have Liberty to make Use of Four Sundays every year at his own free Disposel For the true Performance and Payment of all these Things we the Elders and Church wardens bind ourselves and our Successors, and have in witness thereof signed our Hands hereunto, at Williambourg this 1st Day of March in the year of our Lord one thousend eight hundred and eight

In witness of us [signed]

Jacob Meeyar

Amus Rombough

Severinus Casselman Senior {x his mark}

George [illegible]

Christian Hanes {x his mark}

Peter Wittiker

Frederick Shwerdseger

Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit




My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.










Call from the St. Lawrence Evangelical Lutheran Parish to John Gunther Weagant, March 1, 1808


Official call from the St. Lawrence Evangelical Lutheran Parish to Rev. John G. Weagent. Includes financial terms and signatures on congregation members.