Bethany Orphans Home decorative tin tray
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Souvenir tin plate. Features an image of Bethany Orphans Home in Bridgwater, Nova Scotia, and an image of housefather C. Lindtwed.
- Bethany Orphans' Home was incorporated by the Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Nova Scotia on March 27, 1902. It was located 2 miles outside of Bridgewater, Nova Scotia. Construction began in 1906, and the Home opened in early 1907. The orphanage closed in 1916.
Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada is one of five synods of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada, consisting of more than 200 member congregations and 78,000 baptized members. The territory of the Eastern Synod runs from Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario to Halifax, Nova Scotia.
In July 1861 the Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Canada (Canada Synod) was organized by the former Canadian Conference of the Pittsburgh Synod. In 1867 the Canada Synod helped organize the General Council. In 1908 the Central Canada Synod organized as a result of English activity of the General Council. In 1918 both synods became part of the United Lutheran Church in America. In 1925 the Canada Synod and the Central Canada Synod merged, retaining the name Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Canada (Canada Synod). In 1962 the Canada Synod reorganized as the Eastern Canada Synod of the Lutheran Church in America, comprised of the provinces of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island, Quebec and most of Ontario. In 1985 the Eastern Canada Synod withdrew from the Lutheran Church in America to join with the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Canada to form the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada. In 1986 the new church began to function officially, retaining its membership in the Lutheran Council in Canada.
- Date of Original
- Between 1902 and 1907
Width: 16 cm
Height: 10 cm
- Local identifier
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Nova Scotia, Canada
Latitude: 44.38345 Longitude: -64.51546
- Reproduction Notes
- Wilfrid Laurier University LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail address
75 University Avenue West, Waterloo, ON Canada N2L 3C5