Waterloo College graduating students, 1933
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Black and white photograph of eight members of the Waterloo College class of 1933 at their graduation ceremony. The men and women are wearing academic caps and gowns, and are holding scrolls. They are posed in front of the Arts Building at the University of Western Ontario. From left to right: William Carl Nolting, Armin Martin Schlenker, Karl John Julius Knauff, Margery Tailby, Arthur Welburn Jones, Dorothy M. Tailby, John Frederick Doering, James Moore Lochead.
- Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada is one of five synods of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada, consisting of more than 200 member congregations and 78,000 baptized members. The territory of the Eastern Synod runs from Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario to Halifax, Nova Scotia.
In July 1861 the Canada Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Canada was organized by the former Canadian Conference of the Pittsburgh Synod. In 1867 the Canada Synod helped organize the General Council. In 1908 the Central Canada Synod organized as a result of English activity of the General Council. In 1918 both synods became part of the United Lutheran Church in America. In 1925 the Canada Synod and the Central Canada Synod merged, retaining the name Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Canada. In 1962 the Canada Synod reorganized as the Eastern Canada Synod of the Lutheran Church in America, comprised of the provinces of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island, Quebec and most of Ontario. In 1985 the Eastern Canada Synod withdrew from the Lutheran Church in America to join with the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Canada to form the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada. In 1986 the new church began to function officially, retaining its membership in the Lutheran Council in Canada.
- Date of Original:
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 10cm
Image Height: 6cm
Waterloo College (Waterloo, Ont.) - StudentsWaterloo College (Waterloo, Ont.)University of Western Ontario (London, Ont.)University College, LondonTailby, MargeryTailby, Dorothy M.Schlenker, Armin MartinNolting, William C.Knauff, KarlJones, Arthur WelburneGraduation ceremoniesDoering, FrederickAcademic costume
- Local identifier:
- Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada fonds
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- Wilfrid Laurier University Archives & Special Collections
- Reproduction Notes:
- S100 Disc11
Wilfrid Laurier University Library
Agency street/mail address
75 University Avenue West, Waterloo, ON Canada N2L 3C5