1910 Canada Synod Convention in Morrisburg, Ontario
- Whitteker, J.M., Photographer
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Black and white photograph of a group of ten men attending the 1910 Canada Synod convention at St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church in Morrisburg, Ontario. Front row (seated on the steps), left to right: Rev. Caushorre, Rev. W.C. Miller, Rev. W.H. Knauff. Middle row: M.L. McCreery, Rev. Bieber, Rev. Maurer. Back row (standing): J.J. May, J.A. Miller, J.J. Clemens, Rev P.C. Wike.
- Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada is one of five synods of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada, consisting of more than 200 member congregations and 78,000 baptized members. The territory of the Eastern Synod runs from Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario to Halifax, Nova Scotia.
In July 1861 the Canada Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Canada was organized by the former Canadian Conference of the Pittsburgh Synod. In 1867 the Canada Synod helped organize the General Council. In 1908 the Central Canada Synod organized as a result of English activity of the General Council. In 1918 both synods became part of the United Lutheran Church in America. In 1925 the Canada Synod and the Central Canada Synod merged, retaining the name Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Canada. In 1962 the Canada Synod reorganized as the Eastern Canada Synod of the Lutheran Church in America, comprised of the provinces of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island, Quebec and most of Ontario. In 1985 the Eastern Canada Synod withdrew from the Lutheran Church in America to join with the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Canada to form the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada. In 1986 the new church began to function officially, retaining its membership in the Lutheran Council in Canada.
- Front: Convention / Synod Central Canada / St Pauls E L Church / Morrisburg Ont / May 26 to 28 1910
Front, photographer seal: J.M. Whitteker / Morrisburg
- Date of Original
- May 1910
Width: 18 cm
Height: 23 cm
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 17cm
Image Height: 12.2cm
- Local identifier
- Eastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada fonds
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 44.9001 Longitude: -75.18261
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- Wilfrid Laurier University Archives & Special Collections
- Reproduction Notes
- S100 Disc6
- Wilfrid Laurier University LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail address
75 University Avenue West, Waterloo, ON Canada N2L 3C5