1917 Central Public School after the fire. The second week in November 1917, a fire destroyed classrooms and auditoriums on the third floor. Due to a gift of $10,000 by Thomas Gillbard, long time member of the Board, the school was renamed Thomas Gillbard Public School. Conversion to condominiums began...
c. 1916 New Public School which was built in 1906 and located on George Street was named Central Public School, and after the fire in 1917, was rebuilt. Due to a gift of $10,000 by Thomas Gillbard, long time member of the Board, the school was later renamed Thomas Gillbard Public School. Pre-1917
c. 1915 New Public School was built in 1906. The New Public School was later named Central Public School and then renamed again, to Thomas Gillbard Public School. In 2005 the school building was sold and conversion to condominiums began in 2006.
1866 Photography of Certificate showing that W.Sutherland passed his examination in Latin Grammar. A parochial grammar school was set up in the late 1820s across from where St.Peter's Rectory is now. In the 1840s this became the Newcastle District Grammar School and later the Cobourg Grammar School...
c. 1895 Miss Pettibone was the teacher during this time period. This picture is of the newer brick schoolhouse that has an attached woodshed, an entrance hallway, a box stove and a teacher's platform. This school was located on Concession 7, Lot 4, Haldimand Township. It opened in 1845 as a wooden frame...
1918 Students in photograph: 6th row back: Winter, Everett; Sleeman, Vivian; Cann, Anne; Beatty, Laura; Allen, Edna; Rothwell, Aubrey.; 5th row back: Cowles, Willie; Reynolds, Marjorie; Lloyd, Kitty; Earl, Edith; ? Lacey; Burgess, Arthur.; 4th row back: Field, Cyrus; Sheppard, Edith; ?; George, Alison;...
1918 Thomas Gillbard School, taken in the winter of 1918. The New Public School was later named Central Public School and then renamed again, to Thomas Gillbard Public School. In 2005 the school building was sold and conversion to condominiums began in 2006.
1 Jun 1913 The New Public School was later named Central Public School and then renamed again, to Thomas Gillbard Public School. In 2005 the school building was sold and conversion to condominiums began in 2006.
c. 1870 Located in the building called Glenavy at the top of Church Hill Road in Gore's Landing. It was destroyed by fire in 1910. Frederick W. Barron founded this school which stressed moral and physical as well as intellectual development. In the 1840s he became the third principal of Upper Canada...
c. 1871 Sketch of the first Cobourg Collegiate Institute from an old woodcut. Built in 1871 on Glebe land on the site of the first Grammar school, the old Cobourg Collegiate Institute still stands across from the St. Peter's Rectory as an apartment building.(117 King Street East) For one year this...
c. 1956 People in photograph from left to right: Back row: Waghorn, Frank; Beatty, Gordon; Rooke, Richard; Swallow, Ron; Aird, Ross; DeChamps, Allen; Brown, K. V. (Mr); Sandercock, Don; Marsden, Winston; Gallinger, George; Mellis, Murray; Grundy, Bryon; Lean, Paul; Front Row: Smith, Joyce; Pursey, Carol;...
1922 Officers, Front Row: Leonard, Brock; McCullagh, Donald; Denton, George; Cameron, Alex;
Second Row: Smith, Murray; Shoemaker, Paul; Butler, Eugene; Armstrong, William; Medhurst, William; Corkery, Joseph; Blezard, Thomas; Pomeroy, Ray; Mann, Clifford; Davidson, Thomas;
Third Row: Fisher, Allan;...
c.1910 135 King Street West This new Collegiate was built in 1902 on King Street West when the original Collegiate built in 1870 and located at 117 King Street East(across from St. Peter's Rectory) became overcrowded. In 1960 became known as Cobourg and District Collegiate Institute West, when the new...
c. 1960 Cobourg District Collegiate Institute East under construction on King Street East, corner of Abbot Boulevard. This school costing $950,000 was officially opened on October 7, 1960 by Premier Leslie Frost. Charles Gordon King was supervising principal of both collegiates till the East opened and ...
c. 1928 Teacher: Mr. Wilson
Student, left to right: Top Row: -?-; Hoskin, Jean; Harper, Emily; May, Rita; -?-; Evans, Grace; -?-; -?-; -?-; McCaughey, Mildred;
Middle Row: O'Grady, Rosalie; Fowler, ?; Flanaghan, ?; Roddy, Anna; Dodge, (Marie?); Caton, Alice; Crossen, Grace;
Front Row: Lean, Eileen;...
c. 1925 Students in photo from Left to Right: Front Row: Brown, Jean; Garland, Beulah; Beatrice, Lelande (teacher); Lockhart, Mary;
Second Row: Munroe, Leulla; Isaac, Dorothy; Fox, Gertrude; Linton, Edna; Noble, Muriel;
Third Row: Climo, Percy L.; Samis, Clifford (hidden); Johnstone, Lloyd; Forbes, James;...
c. 1926 Girls in photograph from Left to Right: Front Row: Gaffield, Marble; Burd, Elisa; Hall, Margaret;
Middle Row: Hall, Mary;
Back Row: Grasely, Edna; Ellison, Edith; Immel, Nina; Macdonald, Mary; Clarke, Irene.
c. 1926 Boys in photo from Left to Right: Front Row: Macdonald, Garth; Climo, Percy L.; -?-;
Standing: Roberts, Burton; Murray, George; Immel, Hart; Eddy, Archie; Sleeman, Lyle; Brown, Gordon;
Intruder: Macdonald, Marry.
c. 1926 Students in photo from Left to Right: Front Row: McGlade, James; Foster, Fred; -?-;
Second Row: -?-; Foster, James;
Standing: Macdonald, Garth; -?-; Robertson, Lawrie; Turner, George; Wilson, Gordon; Niles, Eric; -?-.
c. 1925 Students in photograph from Left to Right: Front Row: Climo, Percy L.; Isaac, Dorothy; Samis, Clifford; Noble, Muriel; Garland, Beulah; Lockhart, Mary;
Second Row: Forbes, James; Davey, Wilfred; Borwn, Jean; Fox, Gertrude; Linton, Edna; Munrow, Luella;
Third Row: Montgomery, Hugh; Lalande,...
Map of locations associated with these pictures. Click on a balloon to do a geographic search.
Only the top 50 will appear here.