The cornerstone for Victoria Hall was laid in 1856 and the Prince of Wales (later King Edward VII) officially opened the building on September 7, 1860.
A masterpiece of Victorian grandeur, designed by Kivas Tully, the huge hall has accommodated all municipal services, the provincial court, fraternal organizations, the Chamber of Commerce and busi- ness offices with some 10,000 square feet of space on each of the three floors and a full basement. The Opera House (Auditorium) on the second floor has provided a focus for the Hall, for the Town of Cobourg, indeed for all of Northumberland and of Durham Counties and beyond.
Time has taken its toll however, and now the wooden beams must be replaced, modern services must supercede the old. Neglect -- the result of inadequate funds, and "make-do" patching must be rectified as the Hall stands proud for its second century.
The Society for the Restoration of Victoria Hall, provincially incorporated, and sponsored by the municipality, has enlisted eminent restoration archi- tect Peter Stokes to plan and supervise the resto- ration. A campaign to fund the restoration with public subscriptions is under way.
The restoration will bring back the intrinsic beauty of Victoria Hall. Visually, it will be as it was in 1860, but with modern services installed the Hall can face the next century of time with confidence.
The restored Victoria Hall will become the natural centre for all community activities in the area -- for the young and not so young. It belongs to the people, particularly the local people, and it is ex- pected that a wide range of their activities will be re-instituted at the Hall. As well as housing historical museum pieces it will be available for myriad events, for theatre, for meetings, for music of all tastes, for dancing and electronic entertainments, for exhibitions, for art displays, perhaps private gatherings.
Victoria Hall will be "where it's at" in this part of Ontario, and the benevolent ghosts of the past will surely smile down on the young and old alike as they once more enjoy their Hall, the community's centre.
5:00 P.M. "Victoria Hall Special" departs Union Station – Toronto
6:00 P.M. "Victoria Halt Special" arrives at Cobourg Siding
(1) Premier Davis exits, met by - Mayor J. Heenan, Society President Don Phip
(2) Guests leave train and walk one block to Victoria Hall
(3) Guests enter Victoria Hall by West Door, Third Street
(4) Guests sign Book
(5) Guests received by Mayor, President and Premier, etc.
(6) Guests conducted on tour of Victoria Hall
(7) Guests exit through front door to Reserved Seats
7:00P.M. Ceremony commences
7:30P.M. At close of ceremony Guests go to buses at rear of Victoria Hall. Buses will take Guests to buffet dinner
9:30P.M. Buses leave "Rathbunwood" for Cobourg Station
10:00P.M. "Victoria Hall Special" leaves Cobourg Station
11:00P.M. "Victoria Hall Special" arrives at Toronto Union Station
piper Anthony Covert Massie
Master of Ceremonies J. H. Covert Massie
"GOD SAVE THE QUEEN"
Roland G. White, Conductor
INSPECTION OF CEREMONIAL GUARD
The Royal Regiment of Canada
Bishop of the Yukon (Retired)
Mayor of Cobourg
DEDICATION OF THE
STANDARD OF THE TOWN OF COBOURG
Premier of Ontario (1949-1961)
Deputy Reeve of The Town of Cobourg
GREETINGS FROM OTTAWA
Deputy Speaker of the House of Commons
INTRODUCTION OF THE
PREMIER OF ONTARIO
Deputy Speaker of the Legislature of Ontario
RESTORATION INAUGURAL ADDRESS
AND THE RE-LAYING OF THE
Premier of the Province of Ontario.
The Society for the Restoration of Victoria Hall
Lieutenant-Governor W. Ross Macdonald, p.c., CD, Q.C., LL.D
Premier Emeritus Leslie M. Frost, PC., C.C , Q.C., LL.D., DCL, CD.
Hon. Edgar J. Benson, PC., M.P., F.C.A.
Hon. George H. Hees, p.c, M.P.
Lt. Col. John W. Foote, v.c.
Deputy Speaker Russell C. Honey, Q.C., M.P.
Deputy Speaker Russell D. Rowe, M.P.P.
Alex Carruthers, M.P P.
Mayor John Heenan, Cobourg
Dr. Jean Sutherland Boggs, A.M., Ph.D., LL.D., F.R.S.C.
Edwin C. Guillet, M.A., LL.D.
Kenneth Rotenberg, B. Comm.
President: Donald F. Philp
Mrs. G. Bagnani
R. E. Gardiner
Campaign Chairman: J. H. Covert Massie
Vice Chairmen: H. C. Gibson, Mrs.G. S. Edwards
Honorary Treasurer: Lt. Col. C. Gordon King
H. G. Blow
H. R. Ferris
W. R. Heinbuch
J. S. Hinman
Executive Director: J. R. Taylor