July 29, 1977M
Miss Marry Corbett
Public Building Committee
360 Westwood Drive, #101
Cobourg, Ontario K9A 2B6
Dear Miss Corbett;
This is to confirm that a sealed copper box containing Various memorabilia was placed below the original cornerstone and scaled with high-strength concrete the morning of July 27, 1977,
For the record, this was done in my presence by Mr. Sam Bradley and Mr. Stafford Quinlan masonry workers - bricklayers and Mr. James Sinclair, Construction Super-intendent.
The items included by the Society for the Restoration of Victoria Hall are shown on the attached list. We assume that you have a record of the other items placed In the box and would like to receive a list for the Society's historical records.
cc: Mayor J. Heenan
Mr. Bryan Baxter
Cedric P. Haynes
GIVEN BY THE SOCIETY FOR THE RESTORATION OF VICTORIA HALL
TO BE INCLUDED IN MATERIAL ENCASED IN THE NEW CORNERSTONE!
1. A copy of the original programme for the ceremony in 1856.
2. A list of all directors of The Society for the Restoration of Victoria Hall since its inception.
3. A list of the Society’s Patrons.
4. Three currently used postage stamps.
5. Two coins -- one silver dollar and one silver half-dollar.
6. Two newspaper clippings dated September 8. 1976 listing the contents of the original cornerstone.
7. "Cobourg's Victoria Hall" brochure.
8. Four 25c Special Edition Silver Jubilee Anniversary Stamps.
MATERIAL INCLUDED BY OTHER GROUPS:
COUNTY – Book recounting the history of the County to the present time.
CITY -- Plaque bearing the names of City Officials.
MASONS -- Programme of their 175th anniversary.
- Media Type
- Item Type
- A letter to Miss Mary Corbett
Source: Col. C. Gordon King
Acquired: February 1997
- Date of Publication
- 29 Jul 1977
- Local identifier
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.95977 Longitude: -78.16515
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Cobourg Public LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail address
200 Ontario Street, Cobourg, ON K9A 5P4
- Full Text
July 29, 1977M