Cobourg and Peterborough Railway Locomotive
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- A photograph taken on the Trent River branch at the height of the development of the Marmora Iron Mines.
- The Cobourg & Peterborough railroad opened with great fanfare in 1854 and was plagued with problems ever after particularily with this bridge over Rice Lake. The Cobourg & Peterborough Railway (C&PR) was incorporated in November 1852 by the citizens of Cobourg in hopes of drawing trade to their community from lands north to Peterborough and beyond. Entirely bankrupt by 1865, the property was reorganized as the Cobourg, Peterborough & Marmora Railway & Mining Company in August 1866 to pursue potential local iron ore bodies in the Marmora area. Track was constructed 9 miles (14 km) from the Blairton iron ore mine at Marmora to the Trent River. Blairton possessed the largest iron mine in North America in the 1870's, which was the peak period of iron production in the forty years of its existence,closing down in 1883. This was the Blairton Extension between the Trent River and Marmora Iron Mines.
- Date of Original:
- Local identifier:
- Historical Photographs
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Cobourg Public Library
Agency street/mail address
200 Ontario Street, Cobourg, ON K9A 5P4