- Media Type
- Item Type
- 460 King St. East. Originally known as Sunnyside Cottage, then Ballinderry Lodge.
- This farmhouse on the east end of King Street was locally known as the 'Checkerboard House' and was built in 1878 by Leopold Kobald. Leopold was a butcher who came first to Montreal in 1844 and then to Cobourg in 1847. His first home was built on Cottesmore Avenue but burnt down after a burglary. The Checkerboard House was his second home with over 200 acres included. He built up quite a business and had a stall at the Cobourg Market for 24 years. He married Wilhelmena Vollrath and had nine children. In 1881 he followed one son to Winnipeg where he and three sons built up one of the largest butcher supply businesses in Canada. Another son began what later became the Western Packing Company. In 1980 Sunnyside Cottage was purchased and converted into large apartments.
- Date of Original
- c. 1960
- Local identifier
- Historical Photographs
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.95977 Longitude: -78.16515
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Cobourg Public LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail address
200 Ontario Street, Cobourg, ON K9A 5P4