Cabinet Card by John B. Cook, Photographer, Toronto [n.d.]
- Mystery Question:
Can youidentify the two young girls in this photograph?
[Please answer by clicking on the Comments tab]
- John B. Cook, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Types:
- Cabinet photographs
- Two young African Canadian girls are the subject of this undated cabinet card photograph by John B. Cook, of Toronto. The address listed on the company stamp, which appears in gold lettering at the bottom of the card, is 191 & 193 Yonge [St.] Toronto. The original photo was over-exposed and faded, so image adjustments have been made for clarification purposes. This photograph was in the possession of Iris Sloman Bell, of St. Catharines, Ontario. It is possible these two girls are relatives of the Sloman and Bell families. Relatives of the Sloman - Bell families include former American slaves who settled in Canada.
- John B. Cook is listed as being a photographer -- and a hotelier -- in Toronto from 1879-1898.
Source: Phillips, Glen C. The Ontario photographers list (1851-1900). Sarnia: Iron Gate Publishing Co., 1990.
- Place of Publication:
- Toronto, Ontario
- Personal Name(s):
- John B. Cook
- Rick Bell Family Fonds - RG 63
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- RG 63 Rick Bell Family fonds, Brock University Archives, Brock University.
- Current copyright applies. In some instances, researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and the Brock University Archives before publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Most papers may be copied in accordance with the Library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.
Brock University Archives
Agency street/mail address
James A. Gibson Library,
500 Glenridge Avenue,
St. Catharines, Ontario L2S 3A1
Telephone: 905-688-5550 x3264