Small Cabinet Card of African American Man by John S. Thom, of Lucan, Ontario [n.d.]
- Mystery Question:
Who is the man in this photograph?
[Please answer by clicking on the Comments tab]
- John S. Thom, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Types:
- Cabinet photographs
- A very small cabinet card type photograph of an unidentified man, possibly a relative of the Bell - Sloman family. A handwritten entry on the reverse of the photograph indicates it was taken by John S. Thom, of Lucan. No date is provided, however, John S. Thom is known to have been a photographer in Lucan from 1877-1882. This cabinet card was in the possession of Iris Sloman Bell, of St. Catharines. Relatives of the Sloman - Bell family include former African American slaves who settled in Canada.
- John S. Thom is listed as a photographer in Lucan, Ontario from 1877-1882. Aside from photography, he also operated a general store and sold notions. It appears he then moved to Sarnia, Ont. and is listed as a photographer there from 1882-1900. He is also recorded as being a Sarnia bicycle dealer.
Source: Phillips, Glen C. The Ontario photographers list (1851-1900). Sarnia: Iron Gate Publishing Co., 1990.
- Personal Name(s):
- John S. Thom
- Rick Bell Family Fonds - RG 63
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- RG 63 Rick Bell Family fonds, Brock University Archives, Brock University.
- Current copyright applies. In some instances, researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and the Brock University Archives before publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Most papers may be copied in accordance with the Library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.
Brock University Archives
Agency street/mail address
James A. Gibson Library,
500 Glenridge Avenue,
St. Catharines, Ontario L2S 3A1
Telephone: 905-688-5550 x3264