Photograph of Unidentified Man by J. W. Cole, Photographer [n.d.]
- Mystery Question:
Can you identify the man in the photograph? Do you think he is wearing some sort of a uniform?
[Please answer by clicking on the Comments tab]
- J. W. Cole, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Types:
- Cabinet photographs
- This is a small cabinet card of an unidentified man, photographed by J. W. Cole, of Brampton, Ont. He is possibly a relative of the Bell - Sloman family, whose descendants include former Black slaves who settled in Canada. While this photograph is undated, it is believed to be taken between 1865 and 1884. The photographer's stamp is printed in gold lettering along the bottom of the card. This photograph was in the possession of Iris Sloman Bell, of St. Catharines.
- Two photographers by the name of Cole are known to have worked in Brampton, Ontario in the latter half of the 19th century. J.F. (John W.?) is listed as a photographer in 1882, while John W. Cole operated from 1865-1884. He also dabbled in commerce, selling fancy goods.
Phillips, Glen C. The Ontario photographers list (1851-1900). Sarnia: Iron Gate Publishing Co., 1990.
- Personal Name(s):
- J. W. Cole, John W. Cole
- Rick Bell Family Fonds - RG 63
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- RG 63 Rick Bell Family fonds, Brock University Archives, Brock University.
- Current copyright applies. In some instances, researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and the Brock University Archives before publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Most papers may be copied in accordance with the Library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.
Brock University Archives
Agency street/mail address
James A. Gibson Library,
500 Glenridge Avenue,
St. Catharines, Ontario L2S 3A1
Telephone: 905-688-5550 x3264