Portrait of "Ruth", by George A. Hemstreet, Photographer, Milton [n.d.]
- Mystery Question:
Who is "Ruth" in the photograph?
[Please answer by clicking on the Comments tab]
- George A. Hemstreet, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Types:
- Cabinet photographs
- A woman identified only by the broach at her neck as "Ruth" is pictured here in a black and white cabinet card photograph by G. A. Hemstreet. The photo is undated, but believed to be from the late 1870s or early 1880s. The photographer's name is stamped in black ink along the bottom of the card: "G. A. Hemstreet, Photographer, Milton, Ont." This cabinet card was in the possession of Iris Sloman Bell, of St. Catharines, whose relatives include former Black slaves from the United States.
- G. A. Hemstreet, also known as George A. Hemstreet, was a photographer in Milton, Ontario from 1877 - 1887.
Source: Phillips, Glen C. The Ontario photographers list (1851-1900). Sarnia: Iron Gate Publishing Co., 1990.
- Place of Publication:
- Milton, Ontario
- Personal Name(s):
- George A. Hemstreet
- Rick Bell Family Fonds - RG 63
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- RG 63 Rick Bell Family fonds, Brock University Archives, Brock University.
- Current copyright applies. In some instances, researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and the Brock University Archives before publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Most papers may be copied in accordance with the Library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.
Brock University Archives
Agency street/mail address
James A. Gibson Library,
500 Glenridge Avenue,
St. Catharines, Ontario L2S 3A1
Telephone: 905-688-5550 x3264