Second Welland Canal - Book 2, Survey Map 5 - Locks 16, 17 and 18 in Grantham
- Mystery Question:
Was the property reserved for a quarry ever turned into one? If so, what was its name?
[Please answer by clicking on the Comments tab]
- Welland Canal Company
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Survey map of the Second Welland Canal created by the Welland Canal Company showing the Grantham Township at Merritton. Identified structures associated with the Canal include Locks 15, 16, 17, and 18, and the towing path.
The surveyors' measurements and notes can be seen in red and black ink and pencil.
Local area landmarks are also identified and include streets and roads (ex. Hartzel Road and Macadamized Road), Lybster Cotton Mill, St. Catharines Paper Mill, J. Brown Cotton Mills, hydraulic race, a pond, several barns, and a number of structures (likely houses or cabins) belonging to: J. McNamara, M. Moran, A. Delany, T. Joyce, J. Delany, C. Blake, F. Weaver, W. Leeson, and Mrs. Aikins.
Properties of note are: Concession 10 Lots 11 and 12. A number of reserved properties exist and are outlined in blue. They include three reserved properties for lock lots, and one large property reserved for a quarry.
- Welland Canal Company
- Date of Original:
Width: 100 cm
Height: 45 cm
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 85cm
Image Height: 45cm
- Map Scale:
- Local identifier:
- St. Lawrence Seaway Authority (Canada) Fonds
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Protected by copyright: Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and for any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Copyright Holder:
- © St. Lawrence Seaway Authority (Canada).
© Transport Canada.
- Copyright Holder Contact Information:
- Copyright Bureau, Services Branch
Library and Archives Canada
395 Wellington Street, Ottawa K1A 0N4
Tel.: 613-996-7502 / Fax: 613-996-1341
- Recommended Citation:
- Brock University Archives, St. Lawrence Seaway Authority (Canada) Fonds, Second Welland Canal Survey Map 1, c.1845.
- This record is Crown copyrighted. Permission to reproduce this record must be granted by Library and Archives Canada.
- Reproduction Notes:
- © St. Lawrence Seaway Authority (Canada). Reproduced with the permission of the Minister of Public Works and Government Services Canada (2006).
Source: Library and Archives Canada/St. Lawrence Seaway Authority fonds/R1195-0-X-E/Accession 73-27727 CA
© Transport Canada. Reproduced with the permission of the Minister of Public Works and Government Services Canada (2006).
Source: Library and Archives Canada/Department of Railways and Canals fonds/R610-154-8-E/Accession 9017 CA
Brock University Archives
Agency street/mail address
James A. Gibson Library,
500 Glenridge Avenue,
St. Catharines, Ontario L2S 3A1
Telephone: 905-688-5550 x3264