- British Royal Mint, Manufacturer
Thomas Wyon, 1792-1817, Designer
- Media Type:
- This was the first group of medals issued by the British Government to all soldiers present at a battle, even to those who were below the rank of Officer. In the past only the commanding General was awarded medals. It was issued in 1815 for the Battle of Waterloo.
This medal was issued to Sergeant Angus Cooke who settled in Grantham Township when he retired in 1831. Sergeant Angus Cooke joined the 71st Regiment of Foot in Dundalk, Scotland in 1806 at the age of 18. He served with the Regiment throughout the Napoleonic Wars in Spain, France, and Belgium. The Regiment, which was renamed the Highland Light Infantry, was stationed in Canada from 1824 to 1831 before being dispatched to Bermuda.
Quarter Master Sergeant Angus Cooke retired in 1831 with 25 years service. Angus Cooke acquired 82 acres of land to farm in what is today the North West end of St. Catharines (then Grantham Township). Cooke Died in 1860 at the age of 72 and is buried in the Hosteller-Muir Cemetery in Port Weller, St. Catharines.
The 1 1/2 inch wide crimson ribbon is edged in dark blue. The ribbon is attached to the medal with a 36 mm, silver, straight plan ribbon suspender joined to the clip by a screw shackle fitting.
The circular medal is 1 1/4 inches in diameter and 1/8 of an inch in height and is made of silver. On the obverse is the laureated head of the Prince Regent facing left and the words GEORGE P. REGENT in relief.
On the reverse, in relief, is the winged figure of Victory seated on a plinth and holding a palm branch in her right hand and an olive branch in her left. The base of the plinth is the word WATERLOO. Above the figure is the word WELLINGTON and underneath is JUNE 18, 1815, all in relief.
On the outside edge, stamped into the silver: SERJ. ANGUS COOKE, 1ST BATT. 71ST REG. FOOT.
The manufacturer of the metal is the British Royal Mint. The Waterloo Medal was designed by Thomas Wyon, 1795-1817
- The medal was issued to Sergeant Angus Cooke in 1815. The medal was donated by Mrs. Ruth Margaret (Scott) Hilman in 1982.
- Date of Original:
- Date Of Event:
- June 18 1815
Width: 3.8 cm
Height: 0.4 cm
Length: 11.4 cm
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Mrs. Ruth Margaret Scott Hilman
- Copyright Statement:
- Protected by copyright: Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and for any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Copyright Date:
- Recommended Citation:
- Image courtesy of the St. Catharines Museum
- Please contact the St. Catharines Museum for any reproductions of this image
St. Catharines Museum
Agency street/mail address
1932 Welland Canals Parkway
P.O. Box 3012
St. Catharines, ON