Double Cruise Lamp
This item is a part of the 1812 History digitization project. This project was made possible with the support of the Department of Canadian Heritage through the Canadian Culture Online Strategy.
- Media Type
- This Phoebe lamp is one of the earliest types of lamps that had been used in the colonies during the 17th century to early 19th century.
The lamp consists of two small iron bowls with spouts, one hanging above the other. The bowls are attached and hung by an iron rod with a hook on the end.
Also attached by an iron chain, is a thin spike of iron which was used to clean the grease or tallow from the bowls.
A Phoebe lamp would have been used as follows; the top bowl was filled with grease or tallow. A piece of twisted rag was placed in the spout so that it reached the grease in the bowl and hung over the end of the spout. This would act as the wick. The wick, or rag, absorbed the grease and when lit, provided a steady light. The bottom bowl was to catch the driping grease.
The top bowl is removable and hangs from a hook on the arm of the bottom bowl.
- Date of Original
- 17th century - 19th century
Width: 4.2 cm
Height: 30.3 cm
Length: 11.5 cm
- Local identifier
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.1554809112919 Longitude: -79.1940879821777
- Recommended Citation
- Image courtesy of the St. Catharines Museum.
- Please contact the St. Catharines Museum for any reproductions of this image.
- St. Catharines MuseumEmail
Agency street/mail address1932 Welland Canals Parkway P.O. Box 3012 St. Catharines, ON L2R 7C2