Cross Belt Plate- Glengarry Light Infantry Fencibles
- Media Type:
- This brass cross belt plate was fashioned to represent the Glengarry Light Infantry Fencibles. The rectangular plate is stamped with the initials “GLI” and the number one for 1st Battalion. There is also a thistle motif stamped in the centre. Raised in December of 1811, the Glengarry Light Infantry was created to help the meagre British Defence of the Canadas in the impending war with the United States. Chiefly made up from Scots, from the Glengarry County, the unit was classified as "Fencibles," meaning they would not fight outside their province or on foreign soil (both of which they did). The 1st Battalion served in the Niagara Peninsula during the War of 1812.Further research in 2010 suggests it is a Canadian cross belt plate.
- Local identifier:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Recommended Citation:
- Image courtesy of the Niagara Historical Society & Museum
- Please contact the Niagara Historical Society & Museum for any reproductions of this image.
Niagara Historical Society Museum
Agency street/mail address
43 Castlereagh Street
P.O. Box 208