Oil Painting of Gravelly Bay and Sugarloaf Hill in Port Colborne
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- An oil painting of Gravelly Bay and Sugarloaf Hill in Port Colborne. It is most likely a view taken from near Tennessee Avenue and Steele Street. The War of 1812 Veteran "Big John Steele", John Steele's log Tavern Inn, built 1824, is in the forground and Christian Zavitz's log home is located at the entrance to Eagle Marsh. Sugarloaf hill lies in the background and Zavitz Mill is out of sight behind the trees of the first point sticking out into the water. John Steele (1773-1855) served in the War of 1812 in Baxter's Co. in the 3rd Regiment of the Lincoln Militia. Steele bought a small parcel of land from Zavitz in the 1820s, where Tennessee Ave is today on Gravelly Bay. He built this cabin beside the old Sugarloaf road. Early records refer to the cabin as "Steele's Tavern" and it was known to be used as a meeting place before the canal was built. This painting offers insight into what the Sugarloaf area might have looked like during the War of 1812 time period.
In memory of Mr. & Mrs. Herman Ott.
- Date of Original:
- Local identifier:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Protected by copyright: Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and for any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- Image courtesy of the Port Colborne Historical & Marine Museum
- Please contact the PORT COLBORNE HISTORICAL AND MARINE MUSEUM for any reproductions of photographs within the website.
Port Colborne Historical and Marine Museum