Cannonballs- C. 1812
- Media Type:
- Two cannonballs, one smaller and lopsided was found in a backyard on Catharine Street in Port Colborne and the other larger one was found elsewhere in the city. It is believed that military stores and munitions were often kept in the Sugar Loaf area and would be quickly buried or secreted to prevent their seizure by advancing American troops. This was most likely following the fall of Fort Erie in late May 1813 or, alternatively, when Major Warren and his men retreated away from the supply depot at Sugar Loaf to prevent their capture.
For more information, read “‘Scruples of Conscience’: The War of 1812 in the Sugarloaf Settlement” by Donald G. Anger, the Port Colborne Historical and Marine Museum.
3: (lopsided) 6.5cm
- Date of Original:
- c. 1812
- Local identifier:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Protected by copyright: Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and for any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- Image courtesy of the Port Colborne Historical & Marine Museum
- Please contact the PORT COLBORNE HISTORICAL AND MARINE MUSEUM for any reproductions of photographs within the website.
Port Colborne Historical and Marine Museum