This item is a part of the 1812 History digitization project. This project was made possible with the support of the Department of Canadian Heritage through the Canadian Culture Online Strategy.
- Media Type
- This set of four cannonballs were found at Gravelly Bay in Port Colborne. It is believed that the cannonballs were found here because of their proximity to Zavitz Mill. During the war, the mill would most likely have been protected with one or more cannons against possible marine attacks or enemy forces who could be seen coming up Sugarloaf road. Theory states that the cache of cannonballs would have been buried in some haste to prevent their seizure by the American troops. This was most likely following the fall of Fort Erie in late May 1813 or, alternatively, when Major Warren and his men retreated away from the supply depot at Sugar Loaf to prevent their capture.
For more information, read “‘Scruples of Conscience’: The War of 1812 in the Sugarloaf Settlement” by Donald G. Anger, the Port Colborne Historical and Marine Museum.
Sizes (diameter): 1: 5.6cm, 2: 5.6cm, 3: 5.3cm, 4: 5.5cm
- Date of Original
- c. 1812
- Local identifier
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 42.8750206076777 Longitude: -79.263482093811
- Recommended Citation
- Image courtesy of the Port Colborne Historical & Marine Museum
- Please contact the PORT COLBORNE HISTORICAL AND MARINE MUSEUM for any reproductions of photographs within the website.
- Port Colborne Historical and Marine MuseumEmail